Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Chocolate Chip Oreo Brownie Bars of Goodness

My students are bombarded by stories from my baking life. At least once a week, I tell them a story about a treat I made, a lesson I learned while baking, or a disaster I had in the kitchen (they particularly loved that one).


But I've never had a bigger reaction to my cooking than I did the day I brought these treats in for our Compliment Celebration. I don't think I've ever gotten more hugs (though it does mean my pictures are limited). And I was certainly glad I saved these treats for the last 10 minutes of the school day.

If you're looking at that picture and still thinking, "Katie, I'm not convinced," let me share with you some key quotes from my students that may persuade you.

  • This is the best dessert I have EVER had. EVER. In my ENTIRE life. 
  • Will you blog about the recipe? And send the link to my mom? 
  • If you make this for me every day, I'll faint! 

This dessert couldn't be easier, and while it goes a bit against my homemade baking philosophy, I really did love the one, small brownie bar bite I had. And after eating that small piece, I was even happier that I had given the rest away. These are addictive. They're overwhelming and overindulgent in the best possible ways. 

Imagine a soft chocolate chip cookie crust, topped with double-stuffed Oreos and finished off with a warm dark chocolate brownie.  


Best of all, they come together in a snap. It's much quicker than making chocolate chip cookies because you don't have to bake tray after tray of cookies. It's just as easy as making boxed brownies. And with brownies, chocolate chip cookies and Oreos, it's three times as good. 

Chocolate Chip Oreo Brownie Bars
recipe adapted slightly from Kevin & Amanda

My grocery store only had Halloween themed Oreos, so my brownies have an orange tint to them. I served my brownies plain and at room temperature, but Kevin & Amanda warmed them up and topped them with ice cream and hot fudge sauce. I will try that next time. 

Ingredients
1 cup unsalted butter, softened (two sticks)
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips 
1 package Double-Stuffed Oreos
1 package brownie mix (plus the eggs, butter, or oil that you need to mix the brownies!--or, use your favorite brownie recipe!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9 x 13 inch pan (optional: line the pan with parchment paper to make the brownies easier to remove). Cream together butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar on medium speed for 3 to 5 minutes, until light and creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla, and beat well until fully combined. 

In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture to the egg/butter/sugar mixture until the mixture is just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.

Spread the chocolate chip cookie dough in the bottom of the pan. Top with a layer of Oreos, placing them close together so there will be Oreo in every bite! 

Mix together the brownie mix (following the directions on the package, or use your favorite brownie recipe). Pour the brownie mix over the Oreos and chocolate chip cookie dough. 

Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until brownies reach the desired consistency. Let the brownies cool, and then slice into small pieces and enjoy. 

4 comments:

  1. This is amazing. Thanks for sharing - I will try to make these for Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! If this recipe came from anyone other than you, I laugh and move on. Now I'm going to try and find some time to experiment. You've made me curious. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary--You've got me cracking up over here! I'm imagining a homemade oreo/homemade brownie version sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete